This week’s 2L Weekly Docket is packed with interesting job opportunities, many of which are paid opportunities in corporate legal departments. There are also opportunities in public interest and government. If you’re looking for a great summer job, this is the 2L Weekly Docket for you!
Summer job opportunity: DOJ Volunteer Law Clerk positions, offices around the country, varied deadlines
DOJ Volunteer Law Clerk positions get posted on the DOJ website daily. These are great summer experiences if you’re interested in pursuing a public service career. Here are some examples of recently posted positions:
United States Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Washington, posted October 4
United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Maine, posted October 4
United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Arizona, posted October 4
Paid Job Opportunity: PILI Summer Internship, Chicago, November 1 Deadline
PILI’s Law Student Internship Program connects law students from across the country with public interest law agencies in Illinois and pays them for their work. Typically, Interns receive $6,000 for working 400 hours during the summer.
Event: Explore the Possibilities: Public Interest Law Opportunities for Law Students, Saturday, October 26, Chicago-Kent
Looking to secure a legal aid, public interest law or government position during or after law school? This program is for law students who are interested in learning more about placements as volunteers, interns, externs, fellows, or staff in the public interest law sector.
10:00 a.m. – Registration & Continental Breakfast
10:15 a.m. – Opening Session: A Conversation on Access to Justice
11:00 a.m. – Break
11:10 a.m. – Concurrent Sessions
The Basics: What You Need to Know to Get Started
Next Steps: Preparing for Post-Graduate Opportunities
12:10 p.m. – Lunchtime Session:Hot Topics in Social Justice
1:20 p.m. – Break
1:30 p.m. – Concurrent Sessions
Plotting Your Government Career Path
Innovative Ways to Fill the Justice Gap
Register here by October 24.
Job Opportunity: South Coast Air Quality Management District, Summer Legal Internship Program, LA County
The South Coast Air Quality Management District (South Coast AQMD), located in Diamond Bar, is seeking one or two Legal Interns for its Summer 2020 Internship Program. The South Coast AQMD is the air pollution control agency for all of Orange County and the urban portions of Los Angeles, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties, the smoggiest region of the U.S. The work we do is vital to the health and well-being of over 17 million people living in Southern California and our legal division plays a critical role in the success of our mission.
We are seeking students who are currently in their first or second year of law school. We require that students choose one of the following for their summer experience: (1) obtain outside funding; (2) apply and are selected for funding under the South Coast AQMD Governing Board internship program (details will be provided during the application process); or (3) receive course credit. We are asking for a minimum time commitment of 30 hours per week for 10 weeks, with an anticipated start date in May 2020. South Coast AQMD employees work four 10-hour days and the South Coast AQMD is open Tuesday through Friday. The selected candidates will assist attorneys in the General Counsel’s Office and gain valuable environmental law and regulatory experience.
Attorneys in our General Counsel’s Office advise South Coast AQMD staff on a variety of environmental and governmental law matters, including reviewing and counseling on: new and amended air quality regulations, Air Quality Management Plans, project-by-project environmental analysis, contracts, and proposed legislation. General Counsel attorneys also represent the South Coast AQMD in defensive civil litigation in state and federal courts as well as in prosecutorial matters by preparing and litigating cases against violators of South Coast AQMD regulations, negotiating settlement agreements, and representing the South Coast AQMD before the South Coast AQMD’s administrative Hearing Board.
The legal interns will work hand-in-hand with South Coast AQMD attorneys on rulemaking assignments by attending meetings with internal and external stakeholders, providing research assistance, and drafting legal analysis. The legal interns will also have the opportunity to manage Hearing Board cases and negotiate civil penalties in enforcement cases.
Interested students are encouraged to submit a cover letter expressing interest, a resume, and a writing sample (maximum 10 pages) to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 22, 2020.
PAID Job Opportunity: Royal Caribbean Cruises Summer 2020 Legal Internship, Miami
At Royal Caribbean Cruises, we offer an 11-week paid, skill-enriching, innovation-generating summer advantage. Our interns innovate, collaborate and deliver. Looking for an internship where you’ll fill coffee orders and file papers? This isn’t the one. We’re counting on our interns to bring fresh ideas and own exciting projects in the works.
Still not hooked? Let’s talk about the perks. Philanthropy days, exclusive events, transportation incentives, and the most incredible view of Miami in the city. From stunning beaches to drool-worthy Cuban food, a summer in Miami is one you’ll never forget.
As an intern at our corporate headquarters, you’ll be part of a top-notch global workforce. You will be exposed to real life business situations and work on projects alongside our employees, all the while learning relevant skills that will make your resume look good.
Your summer will include ship visits, community projects, and even a chance to pick the brain of executives during Executive Spotlights. You’ll have a chance to gain insight into how we create the products, systems and services that help deliver the best vacations at sea. This is an internship where you won’t come out empty-handed… or empty-brained.
Read more and apply here.
Paid Job Opportunity: Indiana Department of Revenue Legal Intern, Indianapolis
About the Indiana Department of Revenue
The Indiana Department of Revenue is responsible for providing service to Indiana citizens regarding state tax matters. Additionally, the department administers state tax laws, develops regulations and makes decisions about tax policy. Join our team that has been named as an IndyStar 2019 top places to work.
This is a paid internship at $11.30/hour.
What is the Legal Division? The Legal Division is comprised of three groups: Appeals, Litigation, and Advisory.
- Appeals: is responsible for providing taxpayers with an independent administrative review of proposed tax assessments and denied refund requests when taxpayers appeal those actions.
- Litigation: advises and assists in litigation involving DOR in Indiana Tax Court, the Indiana Supreme Court and bankruptcy court. The Litigation and Appeals groups work closely together.
- Advisory: advises DOR staff on matters of regulatory and statutory interpretation. It reviews contracts with DOR vendors, responds to public disclosure requests, and reviews all DOR correspondence for legal accuracy, among other duties.
- Primarily assisting the Appeals attorneys by preparing for and attending administrative protest hearings and researching and writing first drafts of the final determinations for those protests.
- Assisting the Litigation attorneys with research and drafting briefs. The Department works closely with the Indiana Attorney General’s office on cases in the Indiana Tax Court and in the Indiana Supreme Court.
- Assisting the Advisory attorneys in reviewing contracts, responding to public disclosure requests, and interpreting statutes and regulations in response to internal questions.
- Researching federal and state tax law on emerging tax issues as needed by any of the above and presenting legal memoranda on those issues.
Read more and apply here.
Paid Job Opportunity: U.S. Bank Fund Services Legal Administration, Milwaukee
get hands-on experience solving business needs,
support communities where we live and work,
interact with senior executives,
get paired with a formal mentor,
attend social and professional development events,
learn on how to work on a team,
develop business acumen
Create disclosure documents and review investment and servicing contracts
Research security laws and disclosure practices amongst large mutual fund families
Manage specialty projects based on the Investment Company Act of 1940
Build collaborative relationships with other U.S. Bank employees
Perform other related duties as requested
Pursuing a Juris Doctor degree with specific interest in securities law, business ethics and compliance, organizational effectiveness, or related discipline with experience in a matrix organization preferred
General understanding of mutual funds and securities law
Ability to apply legal knowledge to business cases while actively collaborating with team members
Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
Strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
Ability to think and work independently with a professional demeanor and receive dynamic on-the-job training
Highly organized and able to manage/prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously
Read more and apply here.
Job Opportunity: Corporate Law Internship, Zurich, Schaumburg, IL
- Legal research
- Legal writing
- Working on various assignments from attorneys from different practice areas
- General legal and client service skills
- How to work within a corporate legal department and how the legal department interacts with business clients
- Actively Pursuing a Juris Doctorate degree
- Currently enrolled in a law school program and will be enrolled in the upcoming Fall Semester 2020
- Minimum cumulative current grade point average of 3.0 (current could mean last semester GPA)
- Be legally eligible to work in the U.S indefinitely
- Problem solving skills in customer focused environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Quick Learner
- Previous experience in an internship, externship or clerkship in a legal setting
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
Read more and apply here.